FINDING A REPUTABLE TRANSPORTATION COMPANY
Beware– not all limo companies have proper licensing or insurance!
In our area, The Kentucky Limousine Association screens transportation companies to ensure compliance with basic legal and ethical standards. They offer the following tips to help Kentucky’s residents have a safe experience when hiring a limousine or bus company to provide transportation:
While Kentucky boasts an impressive number of reliable and reputable limousine and bus companies, you will likely find a number of companies that operate without proper safety inspections, licensing and insurance for the vehicles, and some have chauffeurs that do not even posses a driver’s license. You should do proper due diligence when selecting a limousine or bus company – after all, the safety of you, your guests, or your children depend on it.
It is illegal for you to hire an unauthorized transportation company according to KRS 281.615 – be careful!
Other Helpful Tips:
- When considering a company, ask them for their physical address – you should exercise caution if they won’t provide it or if they won’t let you visit their office to look at a vehicle
- Word of mouth reputation – do you know someone that has used the company that you are considering?
- If you are searching for prom service – does the company use a written Student/Parent Prom contract?
- If you are requesting pick up from an airport, check to be sure that the company has proper credentials, if necessary. Louisville International (SDF) and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky (CVG) require special permits. You should exercise caution if the company you are considering suggests that you meet a chauffeur in an area away from the designated passenger pick up area.
LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR OPERATING AUTHORITY
Operating Authority Requirements
Every limousine company operating in the state of Kentucky must fulfill certain requirements in order to provide ground transportation service. These requirements help ensure the safety of the company’s passengers.
R & R Limousine adheres to all requirements, local, state and federal. Our employment program includes criminal background checks as well as random drug testing.
These are the requirements of the local, state & federal authorities:
- Local Requirements (Metro Louisville)
- Twice yearly vehicle safety inspections – decal verification on vehicle
- Chauffeurs required to carry a Limousine Driver Permit
- Yearly state-wide criminal background check
- Yearly Department of Motor Vehicles records check
State Requirements (Kentucky)
- Must have Limousine plate on front of vehicle, begins with “LM” or a Bus plate on rear of vehicle, where regular license plate normall is, if carrying 17 or more passengers
- $1,500,000 Insurance policy on limousines, vans, sedans
- $5,000,000 Insurance policy on buses (17 or more passengers)
- Same insurance requirements listed above for vehicles
- Yearly accident reporting
- Display DOT identification numbers on vehicles